Fake Metropolitan Diary

Spirited analysis of the weekly "Metropolitan Diary" column in the New York Times along with my own fake Metropolitan Diary entries.

Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Welcome to the Fake Metropolitan Diary

Every Monday, I read the Metropolitan Diary and get annoyed that it only ever highlights what I think are three common trends:
  • Precocious/spoiled kids
  • A cute story about pets or pet-crazy New Yorkers
  • Rubes' reactions to New York (either first-person or from the perspective of a jaded New Yorker)

Thanks to my New York Times Select account, I was able to indulge myself to perform a deeper analysis of the themes of the Metropolitan Diary for the year to date. I have ignored poems and have summarized the individual stories, rather than included them in their entirety, so as not to get into copyright trouble.

I have tried to back-date these entries to correspond to the Monday the particular Metro Diary was posted (and so that this is the first entry), but if that's not possible, they they will all just follow this one, and contain a summary at the end. I also plan to, as the weeks go on, write my own Fake Metropolitan Diary entries which emphasize the more annoying things that I see in my travels throughout the city, particularly my neighborhood in the West 90's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home