Fake Metropolitan Diary

Spirited analysis of the weekly "Metropolitan Diary" column in the New York Times along with my own fake Metropolitan Diary entries.

Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Monday, May 22, 2006

Metropolitan Diary analysis: 2006-05-15

Sorry for the lateness and the skipping of 5/9's entry, I was in Spain. I know I'm a week late with this but I didn't want to let it slip since there is a crazy coincidence on the last entry... anyway, here's last week's Metropolitan Diary, and here's my commentary:
  • Hostess of "Upper West Side brasserie" does not associate "fresh fish" with "cooked". Category: Amusing Misspellings Tough call, but if you assume that the category takes into account those entries where a "foreigner" misspells or misinterprets something incorrectly, this is not so much more of a leap.
  • Person leaves flowers outside building (very near my building, I might add) for Titanic victim. Category: New Yorkers Aren't So Bad, After All! This is sort of turning into the Upper West Side Diary...
  • Woman overhears a woman say to her companion that she "went through [the Metropolitan] museum with a fine-tooth comb" in only 2.5 hours. What a dilletante! Category: Jaded New Yorkers This category will have to stand in for "Pretentious New Yorkers"... it's not fair to say that a repeat visitor to the Met is a Rube in the Big City, and I don't know what else to call this one... actually I kind of didn't get the joke because I am a video-game-playing, science-fiction-reading plebian.
  • Man runs through stalled traffic requesting a cold beer from other drivers. Category: New York Eccentrics More like New York Drunks, am I right?
  • Lawyer is told that an appeal is "not lost, just pending". Category: Jaded New Yorkers Coincidence #1 (not the "crazy" coincidence, keep reading for that one): The writer works in the building next door to the one I work in.
  • Woman attempts to teach the Latin roots of words to fourth-graders, and one precocious little devil mistakes a "cantor" for a "chanteuse"! How droll! Category: Precocious NY Kids
  • I never write anything about the poems in the Metropolitan Diary, though I have noticed that they have two things in common: they always rhyme, and they always are slightly-but-not-all-that humorous. Often they are written by a wistful older person. Review this week's poem for an example.
  • Tourist teen remarks that "there are more stoplights at this one corner than in our whole town". Category: Rubes in the Big City Coincidence #2: I bought my apartment from the writer and she still lives in our building. So does this mean I have become such a New Yorker that I have something about the city to relate to everything in the Metropolitan Diary? I live on the Upper West Side and work in Midtown. Wow, I'm a real New Yorker, for sure!
Totals for this Metropolitan Diary:
Amusing Misspellings: 1
Jaded New Yorkers: 2
New York Eccentrics: 1
New Yorkers Aren't So Bad, After All: 1
Precocious NY Kids: 1
Rubes in the Big City: 1

Totals YTD:
Amusing Misspellings: 11
Jaded New Yorkers: 22
New York Eccentrics: 21
New Yorkers Aren't So Bad, After All: 12
Oh, Those Fast-Paced New Yorkers!: 11
Precocious NY Kids: 24
Precocious NY Pets: 6
Rubes in the Big City: 15
Single New York Woman's Perspective: 3
WTF: 2

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home